Minty aubergine bruschetta
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Aubergine comes into its own on these simple bruschettas. They can make a speedy lunch, a hearty nibble or a simple canapé just adjust the sizes to the occasion. Heat your griddle pan oven a medium heat and char 1cm thick slices of aubergine tossed lightly in oil, garlic and mint. Once you have nice char lines set the aubergine aside and griddle slices of ciabatta brushed with olive oil until also charred. To serve simply spoon the aubergine over the ciabatta and enjoy. If your a cheese fiend try crumbling over a little feta its a match made in heaven.
- 2 aubergines, sliced 1cm thick lengthways
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 3tbsp mint, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 8 slices of ciabatta, 1cm thick
Aubergines delicate flavour is best served at room temperature on bruschetta. So if you make it in advance make sure you leave it out of the fridge for at least 30 mins
- Place the sliced aubergine in a large bowl and drizzle with 2tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and scatter over the mint and garlic. Toss well to coat.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot and cook the slices in batches on both sides for 1-2 mins until soft and charred. Transfer to a plate and wipe down the griddle pan.
- Brush the ciabbata with the remaining 2tbsp of olive oil. Return the griddle pan to the heat and when hot griddle the ciabatta until charred well on both sides.