Spinach and gruyere frittata
Skill level: Easy peasy
This easy frittata makes a satisfying mid week meal relying on just a few simple store cupboard ingredients: onion, eggs and cheese. You can substitute in any cheese or vegetables or make it more of a spanish tortilla buying adding slices of cooked potato. In addition to it being a hearty meal it can also make a great change to a family breakfast or brunch. Simply fry of an onion add your veggies, pour over a cheese and egg mixture and fry gently. Scatter with cheese and then pop under the grill until golden and set. Serve with a simple salad
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves. sliced
- 4 medium free range eggs
- 60g gruyere
- 1tbsp parsley, chopped
- 100g spinach
- 50g goats cheese, crumbled
If your grill is a little feisty you can pop the frittata in the oven to cook through. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/180°C Fan/Gas Mark 6. Just make sure you are using an oven proof frying pan
- Pre-heat the grill to medium. Heat the oil in a non stick 18cm frying pan over a medium heat and sauté the onion for 10 minutes until soft, add the garlic for the last 2 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a jug, stir through 50g gruyere, the parsley and season well. Add the spinach to the pan and fry for 1 minute before pouring over the egg mixture.
- Top with the goats cheese and cook gently for 5 minutes or until golden underneath.
- Scatter with the remaining gruyere and place under the grill for 10 minutes until just set. Serve cut in wedges with salad.