Healthy grilled chicken with courgettes and peppers
Skill level: Easy peasy
If youíre on a diet then chicken is one of the best foods to eat. Itís high in protein and b vitamins and is low in fat, as long as the skin is removed before cooking. Grilling is also a really healthy way to cook chicken as no extra fat is needed. Here, the chicken is flavoured with lemon juice before grilling, but you could sprinkle it with dried herbs or add a splash of soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce for extra flavour. Keep turning the chicken during grilling and take care not to overcook it or it will start to dry out
- 4 chicken breast fillets, skinned
- 3tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 courgettes, halved lengthways and sliced
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1tsp capers, drained and chopped
- Salad, to serve
If the chicken fillets are quite thick, butterfly them by cutting nearly all the way through each fillet and opening and flattening out the flesh Ė this will help to cook them quickly and evenly
- Place the chicken fillets on a foil-lined grill pan and brush with half the lemon juice. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook under a medium-hot grill for 20 mins, turning a few times.
- Place the courgettes and peppers in a bowl with the rest of the lemon juice, olive oil, mixed herbs and chopped capers. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and spread on the grill pan around the chicken.
- Grill the chicken, courgettes and peppers for a further 15-20 mins until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are lightly charred in places. Serve with salad.