Paprika chicken casserole
Skill level: Easy peasy
Whip up this paprika chicken casserole in no time! Rich and flavoursome with a garlicky paprika and tomato flavoured sauce this casserole is ideal for a filling family meal. Itís all cooked in one flameproof casserole dish so thereís hardly any washing up too! You donít need to serve any extra veg on the side - just lightly crushed boiled potatoes or buttered noodles will suffice. Paprika can vary in hotness so if you want a spicier flavour use the hot variety or use smoked paprika to give a warming smoky taste. A dollop of soured cream will help to cool down any heat
- 1tbsp mild paprika
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 chicken thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1tbsp flour
- 900ml chicken stock
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 100g green beans, trimmed and halved
- 100g baby plum tomatoes
For a richer tomato sauce replace 300ml of the stock with 300ml passata or a 400ml can chopped tomatoes
- To make this chicken casserole, sprinkle the paprika over the chicken portions and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and fry the chicken portions over a high heat until browned all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the casserole and fry for 5-6 mins. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute then gradually add the stock, tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil.
- Return the chicken to the casserole and add the carrots. Cover and simmer gently for 35 mins, stirring occasionally. Stir in the yellow pepper, beans and tomatoes and cover and simmer for a further 15-20 mins until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are just tender.