Coconut crusted chicken dippers
Skill level: Easy peasy
These crunchy chicken dippers have a nutty coconut and breadcrumb coating and are served with a fiery flavoured Thai dip. They are great for serving as part of a finger buffet or as a TV dinner with oven chips or potato wedges – no cutlery required! Deep frying in hot oil gives a lovely crisp and golden crust but for a less calorific version they can be baked in the oven. Place on a baking sheet and use an olive oil spray to lightly oil the coated chicken. Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C/375°F/Fan 170°C/Gas Mark 5 for 25-30 mins until golden and cooked through.
- 3tbsp seasoned flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 400g mini chicken fillets, halved
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- Spinach leaves, to serve
- 2tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 200g tub Greek yoghurt
- Dash of lime juice
For a milder dipping sauce replace the Thai curry paste with 2tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Place the seasoned flour in a shallow plate, the beaten egg on a second plate and mix the breadcrumbs and coconut on a third plate.
- Dust each piece of chicken in seasoned flour and dip in the beaten egg, then coat in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Half fill a large deep frying pan with the oil and heat until a cube of bread dropped in the hot fat browns in 30 seconds. Fry the chicken, in batches, in the hot oil for 4-5 mins until crisp and golden brown and cooked through. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- For the dip, mix together the curry paste, yoghurt and lime juice until smooth. Spoon the dip into a small dish. Serve the hot chicken on a bed of spinach leaves with the dip.