Sesame chicken and sweet pepper stir fry
Skill level: Easy peasy
Lean chicken strips cook really well in a stir-fry, and this sesame chicken and sweet pepper recipe is no exception. This lightly flavoured combination of chicken, garlic and soy sauce makes a perfect light supper dish served simply with white rice. Ready in under 30 minutes, it's a quick chicken dinner with a difference the whole family can enjoy.
- 450g lean boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tbsp sesame oil
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 1 medium leek, trimmed and shredded
- 2tbsp sesame seeds
If you have a bit of time before cooking this recipe, you can enrich the chicken by letting it marinade in the garlic and soy sauce for 1-2 hrs – just cover and chill until required.
- Cut the chicken into thin strips. Place in a shallow bowl and season with garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil. Add the cornflour and mix well; set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan until hot then stir fry the pepper slices for 3-4 mins until just beginning to soften. Remove from the wok using a draining spoon and set aside.
- Reheat the wok or pan and stir fry the chicken mixture for 5 mins. Add the leek and continue to stir fry the mixture for a further 1 min, then return the pepper to the wok or pan and stir fry for a further 1-2 mins until tender and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately with rice as an accompaniment.