Arctic amaretto and chocolate flake soufflé
Prep time:plus freezing time
Skill level: Bit of effort
Soufflés have always been thought of as a difficult dish, though it is well noted that ensuring the oven door remains shut removes any chance of the soufflé flopping. But with this dish the oven has been eliminated altogether and replaced with a freezer. This means making a soufflé couldn’t be easier. This recipe with its chocolate and amaretto liqueur combo is a definite winner, resulting in a mouthwatering soufflé with more than a hint of amaretto liqueur. The chocolate flavours subtly come through making this a number one chilled treat
- 100g amaretti biscuits
- 6tbsp amaretto
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1tbsp powdered gelatine
- 6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 3 bars of Cadbury’s Flake chocolate
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 568ml double cream
- Cocoa powder (optional)
To decorate the soufflé you could make quenelles from the stiffly whipped cream by moulding between two spoons to create a neat 3-sided oval
- Wrap a double piece of greaseproof paper around a soufflé dish so that it protrudes at least 5cm above the rim. Secure with string.
- Break the amaretti biscuits into pieces and put into a bowl. Drizzle over the amaretto liqueur and put aside to soak. Put lemon zest and juice into a clean bowl and sprinkle the powdered gelatine over it.
- Put the bowl containing the gelatine over a pan of hot water until the gelatine has dissolved. Whisk egg yolk and sugar together until thickened. Stir in the dissolved gelatine and using a metal spoon fold in the soaked amaretti biscuits.
- Whip 450ml of the cream and fold into the egg and amaretti mixture. Crumble the flake bars into the mixture. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Carefully fold into the soufflé mixture. Spoon into the prepared dish and level the top. Freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
- About 1 hour before serving, transfer to the fridge. Whip the remaining cream until stiff and use to decorate the soufflé, if desired. Dust with cocoa powder.