Breadcrumb topped anchovy and sweet potato gratin
Skill level: Easy peasy
The anchovies provide a richness and depth of flavour to this simple dish, whilst the sweet potatoes, which are an excellent source of beta carotene, vitamin C and potassium, add a delightful contrast to the this gratin. Served as an accompaniment or as a main course, this utterly irresistible creamy sweet potato dish may have very few ingredients but is oozing with flavour. If you’ve got a big crowd at Christmas, why not try incorporating this recipe into your menu, either as an exciting and luxurious alternative to the traditional roast potatoes or as well as them
- 1kg sweet potatoes, sliced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 55g canned anchovies, drained and halved lengthways
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 284ml single cream
- 125g Gruyère cheese
- 50g breadcrumbs
A very tasty dish in its own right, this gratin would also make an excellent accompaniment to roast lamb
- Preheat oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Lightly grease an ovenproof dish. Layer some of the potatoes and onion in dish, followed by some anchovies, garlic and seasoning. Repeat so that you end up with about 3 layers.
- Whisk together the eggs and the cream and pour over. Scatter with the Gruyère cheese and breadcrumbs and bake for 40-45 minutes until potato is tender.