Chicken Moussaka with basil and breadcrumbs
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Come and try our delicious recipe for breadcrumb topped basil and chicken Moussaka. Although typically made with minced lamb, this Greek inspired dish tastes just as delicious made with chicken. The substitution of Greek yoghurt for crème fraîche provides a richer and fuller flavour and the fresh basil infuses the dish with its subtle sweet, peppery flavour. This recipe serves 4 people and will take around 1hr and 20 mins to prepare and cook. Guaranteed to be a hit with family and friends, this take on a summer holiday favourite is sure to bring you a little warmth this winter. Plus, if meat isn’t your thing, simply substitute the chicken with another vegetable such as courgettes and you has yourself a suitable vegetarian alternative.
- 1 large aubergine
- 6tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1tbps tomato puree
- 1tbsp sweet chilli sauce (optional)
- A generous handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 450g (1lb) waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250g crème fraîche
- 2 medium eggs beaten
- 30g Red Leicester cheese, grated
- 20g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 30g breadcrumbs
This dish can also be made with turkey instead of chicken – perfect for using up any leftovers after Christmas
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Cut the aubergine into 1cm thick slices, brush with oil and season. Cook aubergine, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to plate.
- Add 2tbsp of oil to a pan. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic. Fry for 30 seconds and then add the onion. Cook, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add mixed spice. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook until browned. Add tomato, tomato purée and sweet chilli and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook for 5-10 minutes or until thickened. Add half of the basil and stir to combine.
- Spread the potato slices over the base of a lightly greased ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the remaining basil over the potatoes. Arrange half of the aubergine slices over the potatoes. Spoon the chicken mixture on top, followed by the remaining aubergine slices.
- For the topping, in a small bowl, whisk together the crème fraîche, eggs and seasoning. Stir in half the Red Leicester and Parmesan cheese. Pour the mixture over the top of the moussaka. Scatter over the remaining cheese and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve with a crisp green salad and crusty bread.