Thai-style chicken skewers
Prep time:plus marinating time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
If youíre cooking for a load of friends, for a party, or even for your family, these skewers will do the trick. Marinated in a blend of chillies, lemon grass and mint, they can be chargrilled, grilled or cooked on the barbeque. If youíre looking a meal thatís easy to prepare and really fast to cook that also tastes exceptionally good, then make these Thai-style skewers are your first port of call
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow pepper (deseeded)
- 1 orange pepper (deseeded)
- 1 green pepper (deseeded)
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2tbsp lemon grass, finely slices
- 2tbsp mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 180ml olive oil
- 4tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 24 button mushrooms
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 24 small bay leaves
Try marinating the chicken and vegetables overnight in the fridge. This will not only save time on the day but also make for a deeper flavour
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water for at least 30minutes. Cut each chicken breast into 6 chunks. Cut each pepper into 8 pieces and the onion into 8 wedges.
- Mix red chillies, lemon grass, mint leaves, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice. Add chicken, button mushrooms, the onion and peppers and bay leaves. Marinate for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Preheat grill to high. Meanwhile, keep the marinade to one side and thread the chicken and vegetables onto the skewers, starting and finishing with a mushroom. Each skewer will have 3 chunks of chicken, 3 pieces of pepper, 2 wedges of onion, 3 tomatoes, 3 bay leaves and 3 mushrooms.
- Grill for 20minutes, basting with the marinade and turning every 5 minutes. Serve with noodles or green salad.