Roasted root vegetable salad
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Lots of us tend to forget about salads in the winter, but were missing a trick. A little imagination mixed with bountiful seasonal vegetables and you can have a tasty and super healthy warm salad. Roasting vegetables makes such a difference; as they take on a sweeter, caramelised taste. The tang of the raw apple in this recipe adds some cool crunch against the warm sweet vegetables and makes a perfect starter or a light lunch.
- 2 carrots, sliced and quartered
- 2 courgettes, sliced and quartered
- 3 red onions, quartered
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 apples
- 1 bag of rocket
- Balsamic dressing for garnishing
Crumble some goats cheese over the top for an extra layer of flavour.
- In a large roasting tin, tumble in the chopped carrots, courgettes and onions. Drizzle them in the oil and sprinkle over the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Bake in a preheated oven 220°C/420°F/Gas Mark 7 for 20mins, tossing after 10mins.
- Meanwhile core and dice the apples and squeeze the lemon juice over them to prevent from browning. Empty the rocket into a large serving bowls and add the apple pieces, before mixing through the roasted vegetables.
- Before serving, drizzle a balsamic dressing over the salad and let everyone help themselves. Best served with warm pitta breads to fill.