Chicken sticky skewers with fried rice
Prep time:plus marinating
Total time:plus marinating
Skill level: Easy peasy
These Malaysian-style chicken skewers have a mildly spiced nutty flavour and a sweet sticky soy and honey glaze. They are cooked on wooden skewers which should be soaked for about 20 mins in cold water before using to prevent them burning. Serve with egg fried rice made by stir-frying cooked long grain rice in hot oil with a handful of frozen peas and sweetcorn. When the rice is piping hot add one beaten egg and stir-fry over a high heat for 1-2 mins until the egg is just set.
- 2tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 2tsp soft brown sugar
- 4tbsp light soy sauce
- 400g skinless chicken thigh fillets, diced
- 2tbsp runny honey
- Egg fried rice, to serve
This recipe works well with diced pork fillet or lean beef steak too
- Place the peanut butter, chilli sauce, oil, sugar and 2tbsp of the soy sauce in a bowl and mix well. Add the diced chicken and cover and leave to marinate at room temperature for 1 hr.
- Thread the marinated chicken onto 8 wooden skewers. Cook under a preheated grill for 15-20 mins, turning frequently until the chicken is cooked through and lightly charred in places
- Mix together the remaining soy sauce with the honey and brush all over the cooked chicken. Grill the skewers for another 2-3 mins then serve on with egg fried rice.