Chilli chicken and pepper roast
Skill level: Easy peasy
For a Sunday lunch with a difference why not serve this tasty chicken and pepper pot- roast. Chicken thighs are surprisingly meaty and full of flavour as well as being very economical and quick to cook - this dish can be on the table in under an hour. For a more colourful dish you can use a mix of red, green and yellow peppers or add some thick slices of courgette or aubergine, if liked. Roast baby new potatoes in a little olive oil, sea salt and fresh rosemary sprigs at the same time as the chicken is cooking to serve as an accompaniment.
- 6-8 chicken thighs (skin on)
- 1tbsp mild chilli powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 red peppers, deseeded and cut into thick slices
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 150ml chicken stock
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Instead of sprinkling with chilli powder, spread wholegrain mustard over the chicken thighs after browning.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Rub the chilli powder into the skin of the chicken thighs and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the chicken thighs for 5-6 mins over a high heat until browned all over. Transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry for 5 mins. Add the pepper and cook for a further 4-5 mins then stir in the tomatoes, stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil.
- Spoon the pepper and tomato mixture around the chicken. Bake for 30-35 mins until the chicken is crisp and dark golden and the peppers are tender. Stir once during cooking. Adjust the seasoning to taste before serving.