Chicken and mango curry
Skill level: Easy peasy
Sweet mango chutney and fragrant fresh coriander are added to this tasty curry to give a wonderful sweet and aromatic flavour. We've used a balti curry paste which is has a fairly mild heat level but if you prefer something hotter use a madras paste or add some chopped red chilli pepper when frying the onion and garlic. If liked, add a drained and rinsed can of chick peas or some cold cooked potatoes to make the curry go a little further.
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 500g skinless chicken breast fillet, cut into chunks
- 2tbsp Balti curry paste
- 300ml chicken stock
- 4 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4tbsp mango chutney
- 2tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- Boiled basmati rice and natural yoghurt, to serve
- Coriander leaves and chopped red chilli pepper, to garnish
Add some fresh cubed mango just before serving the curry for an extra fruity flavour.
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan and fry the mustard seeds for 1-2 mins. Add the onion and garlic and fry for a further 7-8 mins until tender and golden.
- Add the chicken and fry until browned all over. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 min then add the stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the mango chutney and chopped coriander and simmer for a further 10-15 mins until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is tender. Serve in warmed bowls with boiled rice and natural yoghurt. Garnish with coriander leaves and chopped red chilli pepper.