Cheesy topped chicken with Mexican rice
Skill level: Easy peasy
Served with a quick spicy rice with beans and sweetcorn this chicken supper will certainly hit the spot. Chicken baked in the oven will keep moist and tender but don't overcook it or the flesh will dry out - the juices should run clear when pierced with the tip of a knife. If there is any sign of pinkness return to oven and bake for a further 5-10 mins.
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tsp hot chilli powder
- 75g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 75g Red Leicester cheese, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 x 250g sachets express long grain rice
- 198g can sweetcorn, drained
- ½ x 400g can black beans or kidney beans, drained
- Diced red pepper and chopped spring onions, to garnish
Make a quick tomato salsa to serve with the chicken by mixing 4 ripe chopped tomatoes with ½ chopped red onion, 1 deseeded and chopped red chilli pepper, a handful of chopped fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Place the chicken in a shallow roasting tin and drizzle over half the oil. Sprinkle with half the chilli powder. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 25 mins.
- Mix together the two cheeses. Uncover the chicken and top with the cheese. Return to the oven and bake for a further 10-15 mins until the cheese is melted and golden and the chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 5 mins. Add the rice and 6tbsp water and the rest of the chilli powder. Stir-fry for 5-6 mins then add the sweetcorn and beans and fry for 3-4 mins until piping hot. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve the chicken on the rice garnished with diced pepper and chopped spring onions.