Italian cabbage and white bean stew
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A great tasty combination of dark green cabbage cooked in a tomato and garlic stock with white beans. Traditionally served spooned over toasted bread and drizzled with olive oil.
- 2tbsp olive oil + extra to serve
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 450g Cavelo Nero (Italian black cabbage) or Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 400g can white beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices Ciabatta bread
For extra Italian style, top the stew with grated Parmesan cheese or a dollop of fresh pesto sauce.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, celery and carrot for 10 mins to soften.
- Pour in the stock and add the tomatoes. Bring to the boil and stir in the cabbage, beans and plenty of seasoning. Bring back to the boil, re-cover and simmer for 10 mins until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, toast the bread slices and keep warm.
- To serve, place 2 pieces toasted bread into large shallow serving bowls and ladle the stew on top. Serve each portion drizzled with extra olive oil if liked.