Rich tomatoey beef and potato pot
Skill level: Easy peasy
Flavoured with warming spices, tender beef chunks are cooked in a garlicy red wine and tomato gravy with chunks of potatoes. Serve with green vegetables.
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g braising steak, cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 150ml red wine
- 450g all purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp freshly chopped parsley
Leave out the potatoes if you prefer a less hearty stew or add 250g wiped and halved chestnut mushrooms instead.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, garlic and steak for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until browned all over.
- Add the bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon, then pour in the chopped tomatoes and red wine. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1hr.
- Stir in the potatoes and plenty of seasoning, bring back to the boil, re-cover and continue to simmer for a further 45 mins - 1 hr until tender. Discard the bay leaves, cloves and cinnamon.
- To serve, serve straight from the pan, sprinkled with chopped parsley and accompanied with freshly cooked vegetables.