Chinese prawn curry
Prep time:including marinating
Skill level: Easy peasy
Oriental curry sauces are usually less spicy hot than Indian ones so are good for more delicate flavours like fish and seafood. Use chunky white fish fillets in this recipe if you donít like prawns.
- 500g headless unpeeled raw prawns
- 2tbsp light soy sauce
- 1tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 2tbsp Madras curry paste
- 1tbsp light brown sugar
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2cm piece root ginger, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- A small bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
If you have more time, leave the prawns to marinate over night.
- Wash and pat dry the prawns and place in a shallow dish. Mix the soy sauce, wine or sherry, curry paste and brown sugar together and mix into the prawns. Cover and chill for 2 hrs to allow the flavours to develop.
- Just before serving, heat the oil in a wok or frying pan and stir fry the ginger and garlic for 5 mins to soften but not brown. Add the prawns and marinade along with the coriander and stir fry for 5-6 mins until the prawns are pink all over and cooked through.
- Serve immediately in small bowls on top of freshly cooked rice.