Creamy coconut chicken curry
Skill level: Easy peasy
A mild and creamy chicken curry, perfect for anyone who doesn’t like hot spices. Add in extra vegetables for a more substantial, less saucy curry.
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm piece root ginger, grated
- 750g lean boneless chicken breasts, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g block coconut, grated
- 150ml whole milk yogurt
- 2tbsp freshly chopped parsley
The creamy sauce is also good for cooking chunks of firm white fish fillets. Use 675g prepared chunks of fish and add after you have mixed in all the yogurt into the sauce.
- To make this chicken curry recipe, melt the butter in a frying pan until bubbling then gently fry the onion, garlic and ginger for 5 mins to soften but not brown.
- Add the chicken, ground coriander, cinnamon and plenty of seasoning and cook, stirring, for 10 mins until lightly browned all over.
- Mix in the coconut then add the yogurt, a spoonful at a time, mixing after each addition. Cook for a further 1 min before pouring over 150ml water to just cover the chicken. Simmer gently for about 15 mins until tender and cooked through. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- To serve, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with light turmeric coloured, golden rice and a cucumber, tomato and onion salad.
Not sure what to do with leftovers? Our leftover chicken recipes are sure to inspire!