Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A classic American sandwich based on seasoned hamburger meat cooked in a sauce. Traditionally served with potato wedges or fries and dill pickles, but for a lighter version serve simply with a crisp salad.
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 150ml barbecue sauce
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 2tsp caster sugar
- ½tsp ground ginger
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 burger buns, halved
This is a versatile recipe so you can change the filling to any minced meat, and add your own spices to taste.
- Put the beef mince and onion in a large frying pan and stir fry over a high heat for 5 mins until to brown.
- Add the soy sauce, sugar and ginger and simmer together for a further 5 mins until cooked through. Remove from the heat, and season to taste. Cover and keep warm.
- Preheat the grill to a hot setting, arrange the buns, cut side up, on the grill rack and grill for a few seconds to lightly toast.
- To serve, put the bun bases on warm serving plates and spoon over the mince mixture. Top with the other half and serve immediately.