Chicken farfalle with sweet peppers and aubergine
Skill level: Easy peasy
This recipe make a little bit of chicken go a long way by combining it with tasty vegetables and a bowl of freshly cooked pasta.
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion
- 250g skinless boneless chicken, cut into 1cm thick pieces
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 1 medium aubergine, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp clear honey
- 500g fresh farfalle pasta (pasta bows)
This combination of pasta, chicken and vegetables is a simple mix; if you prefer something more saucy, add a can of chopped tomatoes to the mix when you return the chicken to the pan.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the garlic, onion and chicken for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, until golden. Remove from the pan using a slotted spoon and keep warm.
- In the same frying pan, heat the remaining oil and cook the peppers and aubergine for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, under lightly browned.
- Return the chicken mixture to the pan and add plenty of seasoning and the honey. Continue to cook for a further 7-8 mins, stirring, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Cover and keep warm.
- Just before the chicken mixture is completely cooked, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 2-3 mins until just tender. Drain well for 5 mins, then return to the saucepan.
- Just before serving, toss the chicken and vegetables into the pasta. Mix well and then pile into warm serving bowls. Serve immediately.