Fusilli with green olive pesto
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Pesto is a classic Italian dressing for any pasta. This version includes green olives which add extra tang and texture.
- 40g fresh basil plus extra to serve
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 40g pine nuts
- 75g pitted green olives in brine, drained
- 75g grated Parmesan cheese
- 150ml olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g fresh fusilli or other pasta
For a more traditional pesto, leave out the olives and increase the Parmesan cheese to 125g and the oil to 175ml.
- First make the pesto. Put the basil, garlic, pine nuts, olives and cheese in a blender or food processor. Turn on a low speed setting and gradually pour in the oil to make a smooth, thick well paste. Season to taste, and set aside. For longer storing, cover and chill until required but take out of the fridge 30 mins before serving.
- When ready to serve, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 2-3 mins until just cooked. Drain well.
- To serve, pile the pasta into warm serving bowls and dot with some of the pesto sauce. Serve immediately with fresh basil on top and the rest of the pesto to accompany.