Warm spaghetti with rocket, raisins and chickpeas
Skill level: Easy peasy
This dish is a riot of colour, texture and flavours. The salad-style topping is an ideal way to liven up a bowl of plain pasta. Serve the salad on the side if preferred.
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 100g raisins
- 4 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 2 handfuls baby salad leaves
- 4tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 4tbsp carrot juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g fresh spaghetti
- 100g blue cheese, crumbled
Cold pressed rapeseed oil is a rich golden colour and has a nutty, earthy taste; ideal for salad dressings. If preferred, use extra virgin olive oil.
- Put the chickpeas, onion, carrot, raisins, tomato and salad leaves in a bowl. Mix gently together, cover and chill until required.
- Mix 3tbsp oil with the carrot juice and season well. Set aside.
- Just before serving, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti for 2-3 mins until just tender. Drain well, leave for 5 mins then return to the saucepan and toss in the remaining oil.
- To serve, pile the pasta into serving bowls and pile the salad on top. Sprinkle with the cheese. Mix the dressing and serve with the salad whilst the pasta is still warm.