Beef and chestnut stew
Skill level: Easy peasy
Rich, hearty and beautifully warming, this winter stew is the perfect comfort dish. Easy to make, this succulent dish is the perfect alternative to a Sunday roast. Packed full of rich flavours, earthy chestnuts and succulent meat, this tasty stew is delicious served with seasonal veg
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 400g beef, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2tsp thyme
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 200g cooked chestnuts
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 250ml red wine
If you’re cooking the chestnuts from raw, pierce the skin and roast in a hot oven for 5 minutes. Once cool, peel
- Pour the olive oil into a large casserole dish and fry the beef until browned.
- Add the onions and fry again until softened. Sprinkle in the thyme, and pour in the wine and stock.
- Simmer for 1 hour with the lid on.
- Add the carrots, chestnuts and season. Cook again for another hour, with the lid off.