Date and cherry loaf
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Studded with sticky dates and cherries, this traditional fruitcake is the perfect winter celebration treat. Homely and comforting, this moist cake is easy to make and even easier to eat. Delicious served with your afternoon cup of tea or packed into lunchboxes as a pick-me-up, this makes a great easy celebration cake
- 110g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 110g butter
- 225g dates, roughly chopped
- 110g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 60g glace cherries
If you don’t have a Swiss roll tin, this works equally well in a loaf tin or round cake tin
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Beat the sugar and butter until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Add the eggs to the sugar mix, one at a time, the fold in the flour until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the chopped fruit and nuts and pour into a Swiss roll. Bake for 20-30 minutes.