Vanilla star biscuits
Prep time:plus 1 hour chilling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Buttery, crumbly and deliciously moreish, these festive star shaped biscuits are sure to get you into the Christmas spirit. Easy to make, children will love helping stamp out the star shapes. They will also make a tasty food gift for friends and family too
- 160g plain flour
- 100g butter, cut into small pieces
- 60g golden caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- Icing sugar
- A star cookie cutter
This recipe can easily be doubled and can be frozen (undusted), once the biscuits are cooked and cooled
- Put the flour and butter into a large bowl, rub the mixture together with your hands, until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, vanilla extract and egg yolk and mix until the mixture resembles a dough.
- Roll the dough into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas mark 6and line a baking tray with parchment.
- Roll out the dough again on a lightly floured surface and stamp out star shapes with the cookie cutter, and place on the baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until pale and golden around the edges, and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with a sprinkling of icing sugar.