Pea, gem lettuce and ham risotto
Skill level: Easy peasy
Don't just keep your lettuce for salads with this comforting and creamy, this tasty risotto is packed full of fresh flavours. Quick and easy, this simple risotto makes a great weekday meal – and is delicious served cold for lunch the next day
- Knob of butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g risotto rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 100g frozen peas
- 1 glass of white wine
- 1 1/2l vegetable stock
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 2 gem lettuce, shredded
- A couple of sliced of ham, sliced
Put leftover risotto to good use by making a tasty canapés. Cut filo pastry into squares, place 1tsp of risotto onto a double layer of pastry, bunch the edges together and cook in the oven for 12 minutes
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook until softened.
- Stir in the rice, giving it a good coating of butter. Pour in the white wine and stir until evaporated.
- Add the bay leaf.
- Pour in the stock, a ladle at a time, until the rice is cooked, adding the frozen minutes two minutes beofre the rice is cooked.
- Stir through the Parmesan and the lettuce, until wilted, then add the ham.