Sticky plum flapjacks
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Sticky and sweet, these fruity flapjacks make the perfect afternoon tea treat or lunch box pick-me-up. Easy to make, these tasty treats are the perfect weekend baking project – and children will love helping to make them too. And they'll keep for a week stored in a cake tin too.
- 200g plums, halved, stoned and sliced
- A pinch of mixed spice
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 150g oats
- 70g plain flour
- 20g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 150g butter, melted
- 2tbsp golden syrup
Trying to cut down the sugar? Try replacing the golden syrup with honey for a healthier sweet alternative
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas mark 6
- Toss the plums with the mixed spice and 25g of the sugar in a bowl, cover and leave to macerate.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, walnuts, and the remaining sugar.
- Stir in the melted butter and golden syrup and combine.
- Grease a square baking tin and pour in half of the flapjack mix. Sprinkle over the plums and then top with the remaining flapjack mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until starting to crisp at the edges. Leave to cool before cutting into pieces.