Sticky rhubarb and ginger crumble
Skill level: Easy peasy
Sticky rhubarb and ginger crumble is a delightlful twist on a classic crumble recipe. Nothing beats a crumble and this tasty version makes the perfect pud - dish it up hot with either cream, ice cream or custard (everyone likes something different!) and everyone will be happy! Quick and easy to make, the combination of sticky fruit and spicy crunch is delicious – and it can be made the day before too. If you're entertaining a big crowd, you can easily double the quantities to make a bigger crumble, or if you simply need enough for seconds (and thirds!)
- 1kg rhubarb, trimmed and sliced into chunks
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 100g plain flour
- 100g butter
- 100g oats
- 100g sugar
- 2 pieces of stem ginger, chopped
Crumble is so versatile. If you don’t like rhubarb, try using apples or pears
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas mark 6
- Make the crumble filling. Put the rhubarb, sugar, orange zest and juice into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the rhubarb has softened.
- Tip the rhubarb mixture into an ovenproof baking dish.
- Make the crumble topping. Put the flour and butter into a large mixing bowl, and rub together with your hands, until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the oats, sugar and stem ginger. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the rhubarb and bake for 40 minutes.