Sweet potato cakes
Skill level: Bit of effort
Vegetarians needn’t miss out on the comforting burger with these sweet and spicy potato cakes. Delicious served with a crispy green salad and a dollop of fruit chutney, children will love making these too. Quick to make and packed full of flavour, they can be made in advance and kept covered in the fridge
- 1kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2tsp soy sauce
- 100g plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 3tbsp spring onions, sliced
- ½ fresh chilli, chopped
- Knob of butter
Add a healthy twist to the traditional burger by serving it with spinach leaves and natural yoghurt
- Boil the sweet potatoes until cooked (about 15 minutes). Drain, and leave to dry.
- Place the sweet potato chunks, soy sauce, flour, spring onions, chilli in a mixing bowl. Season, and mix together with your hands until smooth.
- Melt a knob of butter in a large frying pan. Use a table spoon to scoop out some of the sweet potato mix and place in the frying pan, flattening with the back of the spoon to create a burger shape.
- Fry on a medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side, until cooked.