Skill level: Bit of effort
Looking for new ways to cook your chicken? This warming French dish makes a great alternative to a Sunday roast. Hearty and flavoursome, the whole family will love this simple one-pot dish. Serve with seasonal greens and some boiled potatoes
- Pepper and salt
- 50g plain flour
- 1 chicken, cut into joints
- 25g butter
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot, cut into batons
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1tbsp parsley
- ½ pint boiling water
Remember to always strain the gravy in a slow cooked dish before pouring over the meat, to get rid of any scum
- In a mixing bowl, add the salt and pepper to the plain four and stir.
- Roll the chicken in the flour, giving each a good coating.
- Melt the butter and oil in a casserole dish, and fry the chicken until golden brown.
- Add the carrots, onions, parsley and boiling water. Cover and simmer for an hour.
- Remove the chicken joints and serve with the gravy poured over the meat.