Christmas cookies on sticks
Makes: 10 cookies
Prep time:Plus chilling
Skill level: Bit of effort
These vanilla flavoured cookies are ideal for Christmas pressies or a Christmas party. Adults and children will be delighted at receiving them or making them. The cookies are very easy to make. Decorating them allows you the chance to use your imagination and be creative. For best effect make sure you have at least a few different shaped Christmas cutters and some edible silver balls. Sticks are easy to find as is ready-coloured easy ice from cook shops and major supermarkets. Why not cover the cookies with small cellophane bags and tie with ribbon to give as gifts. Once made the cookies will keep for a few days or slightly longer if wrapped in cellophane.
- 300g plain flour
- 200g butter, chilled and cubed
- 100g caster sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2tbsp milk
- Red, green and white ready-to-roll easy ice
- Edible silver balls
- Icing for sticking made for 4tbsp icing sugar and xtsp water
You will also need:
- Large round fluted and plain cookie cutters approx 6cm in diameter and a selection of small Christmas shaped cutters
- Craft sticks or lollypop sticks
Craft and lolly sticks are available from some major supermarkets, craft and kitchen stores and online.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the butter. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and add the vanilla essence and 1tbsp of the milk. Using a palette knife or your fingertips start bringing the mixture together into a dough. Work the mixture into a dough and only add more milk once you are sure it is required. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
- Wrap in covering film and chill for 30 minutes. Ten minutes before the end of the chilling time preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets and line with baking paper.
- On a surface lightly dusted with flour, roll out the dough to a thickness of approx. 4mm. Use the round, fluted cutter to stamp out rounds. One at a time place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets; inserting a craft or lolly stick carefully into the cookie. Space the biscuits carefully on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until pale golden. Cool on the baking sheet then use a palette knife to carefully lift them to a wire cooling rack. Leave until cold.
- On a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar roll out the different coloured easy ice. Stamp out different coloured shapes and stick onto cookies with icing. Attach edible silver balls with sticking icing and leave until icing is dry.