Mini meringue kisses
Costs: Cheap as chips
Skill level: Bit of effort
Who doesnít love meringues? These chocolate coated mini meringues are guaranteed to go down on your list of all-time favourites. If you have never made meringues before they are definitely worth the effort. There are a few simple secrets to achieving perfect meringues and once you know them there is no reason why you wonít become an expert meringue maker in no time at all. Make sure to read our Thatís good to know tips to achieving the best ever meringues. Without chocolate, meringues will keep in an airtight container for up to three weeks. You can make the meringues in advance and dip them in chocolate the day before serving.
It is very important when making meringues to separate the eggs carefully. If you get the smallest amount of egg yolk or shell in the egg white it may prevent the eggs from whisking properly. Equally important and for the same reasons, is keeping all of the equipment you use very clean. Donít be tempted to rush adding the sugar to the egg whites or adding more than the suggested amount at one time. It is essential that the sugar is added gradually and whisked well afterwards before the next lot is added.
- 8 medium egg whites
- 500g caster sugar
- 250g dark chocolate
- 3tbsp 100ís and 1000ís sprinkles
- Grease 2 large baking sheets with a little oil and line with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 150įc/275įF/Fan 130/Gas Mark 1.
- Place the egg whites in a clean, grease-free (see Thatís good to know), large bowl. Using an electric whisk, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks when the whisk is lifted from the mixture.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar, 1 heaped tablespoon at a time, whisking well after each addition (see Thatís good to know). The mixture will be thick, glossy and form stiff peaks.
- Spoon the meringue mixture into a large piping bag fitted with a medium-sized fluted nozzle. Pipe 16 swirls of meringue onto each baking sheet. Bake for 45mins Ė 1hour or until base of a meringue feels firm when gently tapped.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. When meringues are completely cold place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set the bowl over a pan of very gently simmering water. Do not let the water touch the base of the bowl or the chocolate may overcook. Heat gently, without stirring, for 5-8 minutes until the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl from the pan and cool. Alternatively melt the chocolate in a microwave on HIGH/100% for 1-2 minutes.
- When chocolate has cooled, dip the round end of each meringue into the chocolate. Gently press meringues together in pairs. Place the meringues, turning carefully on their sides on baking paper. Sprinkle the 100ís and 1000ís all over the chocolate. Leave until chocolate has set then serve or store, covered in a cool place for up to one week.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.