Mint choc mousse
Prep time:Plus chilling
Skill level: Easy peasy
Velvety smooth chocolate mousse makes a deliciously sophisticated dinner party dessert. This version is super easy and will be enjoyed by all. The mint flavoured chocolate gives a fresh flavour. Compliment with easy-to-make peppermint cream shapes or if you havenít got time to make them serve the mousse with mint chocolates. The chocolate could be varied. Try orange and spice flavoured dark chocolate or ginger for an alternative festive flavour and serve with similar flavoured chocolates. Candy canes add an extra Christmas feel as well as a bit of crunch to contrast with the mousse. For an extra kick you could add a tablespoon of brandy to the cream.
- 150g mint flavoured dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 300ml fresh vanilla custard
- 150ml double cream
- Crushed candy cane pieces and peppermint cream stars to decorate
To crush candy canes, place between 2 sheets of baking paper. Use the end of a rolling pin to gently bash the canes. To make peppermint cream stars: Place an egg white in a bowl and whisk until frothy. Add 2-3 drops peppermint essence. Gradually sift in 250g icing sugar, mixing well until you have a dough. Knead gently on a surface dusted with icing sugar, to form a smooth, firm dough. Roll out the dough and stamp out star shapes (or any other shape) with a medium-sized cutter. Leave on baking paper until firm.
- Place the chocolate squares in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of barely simmering water. Donít let the water touch the base of the bowl or the chocolate may overcook. Heat gently, without stirring for 5-8 minutes until the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool for 1 minute. Alternatively place the chocolate in a microwave-proof bowl and cook on HIGH/100% for 1-11/2 mins or until melted.
- Stir the custard into the warm chocolate until thoroughly combined. Set aside. Place the cream in a bowl and using an electric hand whisk or balloon whisk, whisk until soft peaks form when the whisk is lifted from the bowl.
- When the chocolate is completely cool, use a large metal spoon to fold the cream into the mixture. Cover and chill for 30 minutes or until firm. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a medium-sized plain nozzle ( alternatively snip off the end if using a disposable).
- Pipe the mousse into serving glasses in swirls. Return to the fridge for 30 minutes before serving decorated with crushed candy canes and peppermint cream stars (see Thatís good to know).