Peppermint cheesecake brownies
Skill level: Bit of effort
Chocolate brownies are an American classic that are so simple to make in the comfort of your own kitchen. This twist on the standard recipe incorporates a minty cheesecake topping that gives a pretty marbled effect and packs these brownies full of flavor. They may take a little more effort than plain old chocolate brownies, but they’re sure to impress and taste delicious – your friends and family will love tucking into them as an afternoon treat with a cuppa!
- 125g butter
- 125g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 eggs
- 125g muscavado sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 75g plain flour, sifted
- 1tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 200g cream cheese
- 1 large egg yolk
- 75g icing sugar
- 1tsp peppermint extract
The brownies should feel just firm to the touch when they’re cooked. Don’t overdo it, or they won’t have that fudgy center!
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line a 23cm square brownie tin with foil.
- Gently melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in another bowl .
- Once the chocolate has cooled slightly, pour it into the egg mixture and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in in the flour and cocoa powder. Pour the batter into the brownie pan.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the yolk, 75g of sugar and peppermint extract until smooth.
- Put blobs of the cream cheese mixture on top of the brownie mixture, then swirl with a knife.
- Bake for 35-40 mins. Cool the brownies on a rack and cut into squares.