Skill level: Easy peasy
Chicken cacciatore or Hunterís chicken stew is a classic Italian dish of chicken, tomatoes and peppers. This version uses chunks of chicken breast, but if you prefer you could use diced thighs as itís much cheaper to buy than breast. Either way, it is very quick to cook which makes it a great choice for mid-week when the family has no patience. Serve it with potatoes, noodles or pasta and a big green salad for an extra healthy twist. Itís the perfect hearty supper for a hungry family!
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
Serve with shredded fresh basil for an authentic Italian feel!
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown the chicken chunks for a couple of minutes. Set aside.
- Add the pepper, garlic and tomato puree to the pan and soften for a couple of minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the tinned tomatoes and 300ml water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 mins.