Grilled scallops with basil oil and cream
Skill level: Easy peasy
This elegant yet easy scallop starter is an ideal dish to cook to mark an anniversary or celebrate Valentine's day. Minimal cooking allows the subtle flavours of the scallops to speak for themselves, a cream garnish complements the flavours of the muscle meat and lively basil oil brings freshness and colour to the plate. If you struggle to find pea shoots then substitute with peppery mustard cress or baby rocket. When buying, avoid scallops that have especially bright orange corals as they may have been soaked in brine to make them swell and appear larger.
- 75g butter, melted
- 6 scallops, cleaned and corals removed
- 2 tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp basil oil
- 50g pea shoots
Like a tree, counting the rings on a scallop's shell will tell you its age.
- Preheat the grill. Dry the scallops on kitchen roll and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the scallops to a grill tray and use a pastry brush to coat in melted butter. Place under the grill for 3 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Put the cream in a small dish and warm in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Arrange the grilled scallops on two serving plates and drizzle circles of basil oil and cream around the scallops. Top with pea shoots and serve.