Teriyaki chicken with noodles
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
For a speedy mid-week meal that's ready in just 15 minutes, look no further than this teriyaki chicken and noodle stir-fry. Made with spring onions, carrots and lean meat, this recipe is well-balanced and healthy. As well as being good for you it's also packed with punchy sweet and sticky flavours; it's the mirin, a type of rice wine, in teriyaki sauce that gives this dish its depth of flavour. Sliced red peppers, sugar-snap peas and toasted cashew nuts would make good additions to this recipe, another alternative is to leave out the noodles and serve the chicken stir-fry with rice.
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp teriyaki marinade
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 300g flat rice noodles
When stir-frying use an oil that can be heated to a high temperature without smoking, such as rapeseed, grapeseed or peanut oil.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, add the spring onions and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken, garlic and carrot and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until the chicken takes on a honey-brown colour.
- Meanwhile cook the noddles according to packet instructions.
- Add the noodles to the pan, increase the heat, then pour in the teriyaki and soy sauce. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season thoroughly with black pepper and serve.