Sweet fruit omelette
Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
When you think of omelettes for breakfast, , savoury omelettes usually come to mind. Why not try something a little different and cook yourself a delicious sweet omelette for a change. They take a little longer to prepare than an ordinary omelette but are well worth the effort and you can add a variety of fillings. This recipe would make a great breakfast treat for the weekend. This recipe makes 1 serving but it is of course very easy to increase the quantities for each person.
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 banana
- 25g raspberries
- ½ apple, cut into pieces
- A little runny honey
Vary the filling – try adding strawberries and other berries to a few spoonfuls of Greek yoghurt. To make a savoury omelette simply omit the sugar and fill with cooked tomatoes and bacon.
- Put the egg yolks, half the sugar and the water into a small bowl and beat together with a fork.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Fold in the egg yolk mixture carefully making sure everything is well combined.
- Put the butter into an omelette pan and heat gently. When hot, add the egg mixture and cook for about 2 minutes until the base is cooked and browned.
- Place the pan under the grill and cook the omelette until the top is set and firm.
- Tip the omelette out onto the serving plate.
- Spoon the fruit onto one half of the omelette, then drizzle on the honey.
- Flip the top of the omelette over the fruit and serve immediately.