Gouda garlic mushrooms
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
An unusual and tasty little starter, the mushrooms are scrumptious with the melted cheese topping. Gouda cheese, mushrooms and garlic go so well together and whilst this makes a good starter it would be very easy to increase the ingredients to make a larger quantity for a lunch or supper dish. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 350g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 175g Gouda cheese, grated
This is a delicious side dish to serve with meats of all kinds. For something a little special try using some of the more unusual varieties of mushrooms now available in the supermarkets.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and fry gently until softened but not browned.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry lightly for 2 minutes until tender.
- Add the wine and continue to cook until the juices have evaporated – this will take about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste and stir well.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture into 4 small ovenproof dishes and sprinkle the cheese on top of each.
- Put under a hot grill until the cheese has melted and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.