Cherry and lemon trifles
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
Everyone loves a pudding, but after a busy midweek dinner you donít always have time to spend hours slaving over a stove to summon up a dessert. Donít give up Ė you can have your cake and eat it, thanks to this sweet and simple cherry and lemon trifle. A unique, zesty take on a classic pudding recipe, it takes just 10 minutes to assemble and will delight the palates of young and old. All you need is a few basic store cupboard ingredients and you can create a fresh, fun and fruity dessert that the whole family will enjoy.
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 jar cherry compote
- Punnet of fresh cherries
- 2 shop bought (or leftover homemade) sponge cupcakes
- 1 jar lemon curd
Add a grown up twist to this child friendly dessert by drizzling a dash of cherry liqueur or limoncello over the sponge cake.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cream and icing sugar until thick and fluffy.
- Spoon a layer of cherry compote into the bottom of each serving glass.
- Add a layer of stoned, halved fresh cherries.
- Top with a slice of cake, then cover the cake with lemon curd. Finally add a spoonful of sweetened whipped cream.
- Repeat the layering process until the serving glass is full.
- Top with a fresh cherry and enjoy!