Skill level: Bit of effort
Costs: Cheap as chips
Healthier than Dauphinoise potatoes, but just as impressive, these Boulangere potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your Sunday roast. Layers of thinly sliced potatoes, golden onions and stock make up this French classic. Itíll keep in the fridge for a few days and can be reheated, so you can use the leftovers for a mid-week family supper too. Sprinkle with cheese for an extra crispy topping that the family will love.
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1.5kg potatoes, sliced finely
- 750ml chicken or vegetable stock, hot
Press the potatoes down with a fish slice to help the layers stick together.
- Pre-heat oven to 180įC/350įF/Gas Mark 4.
- Butter a large roasting dish.
- Fry the onions until soft and golden, about 10 mins.
- Put a layer of potatoes in the dish, followed by a few onions. Pour over a ladleful of stock.
- Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Bake for 1 hr 30 mins.