Pancakes with blueberry and cardamom compote
Skill level: Easy peasy
This is a special breakfast for a lazy Sunday morning as the cardamom adds an exotic twist to your compote, giving your plain, stewed fruit an aromatic and zesty kick. Meanwhile, the American pancakes are light, sweet and fluffy and are great for soaking up the sauce. They only take 20 mins to make and the sweet compote adds a delicious, tangy flavor to the pancakes which the family will love.
IngredientsFor the compote:
- 5 cardamom pods
- 300g fresh blueberries
- 80g caster sugar
- 80ml water
For the pancakes:
- 2 eggs, separated
- 300ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- ½tsp salt
- 190g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
When blueberries are out of season, frozen blueberries will work just as well. Throw them straight in the saucepan frozen, but use a little less water.
- Crack the cardamom pods and pound the seeds in a pestle and mortar until finely ground. Mix the cardamom in a saucepan with the blueberries, sugar and water, then put on a medium heat and bring up to the boil.
- Once the mixture comes to the boil, turn down to simmer for around 10 mins until it thickens, stirring every now and again.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff.
- In another bowl, beat the yolks with the milk and vanilla and salt. Sieve in the flour and baking powder and beat to get rid of any lumps. Then fold in the egg whites into the batter mixture until combined.
- Heat up a little vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a high heat, then pour in spoonfuls of the batter and fry until bubbles appear on the surface. Once they start to brown on the bottom after around 1 min, flip over and cook for another minute.
- Serve as a stack with a generous serving of the blueberry and cardamom compote.