Strawberry and goatís cheese bruschetta with a balsamic glaze
Skill level: Easy peasy
This bruschetta is the ultimate sweet and savoury combination. The salty goatís cheese works perfectly to cut through the sweetness of the strawberries, while the garlic-rubbed bread adds another layer of flavour to excite the taste buds. Topped off with an easy balsamic glaze, this is a quick appetizer that will add elegance to any dinner party. Itís simple to make and looks impressive too. A great picnic treat or party food.
- 100ml balsamic vinegar
- A pinch caster sugar
- 1 large ciabatta
- Olive oil
- 200g strawberries
- Black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 175g soft goatís cheese
- Small handful of basil leaves
Youíll know when the balsamic glaze is ready when it coats the back of a spoon.
- Place the vinegar into a saucepan with the sugar and bring up to the boil on a high heat. When it starts to bubble, simmer for 10 mins until the vinegar has reduced by half and turned syrupy.
- While thatís on the stove, cut the ciabatta lengthways and cut each half into 2 to make 4 equal-sized pieces. Drizzle the open sides with olive oil and place under the grill for a couple of minutes until lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, trim the tops off the strawberries and slice each in half, coating in a little olive oil and black pepper.
- As soon as the ciabatta is ready, cut the garlic glove in half and rub all over the oiled side of the bread, then spread on the goatís cheese.
- Top with the strawberries, basil and a drizzle of the balsamic glaze.