Baked spiced chicken with pomegranate
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
This combination of flavours, straight from the Middle East, helps transform humble chicken drumsticks into a special feast. The spice mix also works well brushed over lamb chops. These tender chicken drumsticks only take 40 mins to cook and are cheap to buy in comparison to other joints of chicken. Serve on a bed of rice cooked according to the packet instructions. The pomegranates in this recipe add a burst of sweet flavor to the chicken which is just delicious. The chicken is not too spicy so the kids will love it too.
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2tsp pomegranate molasses
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 large chicken drumsticks
- 2tbsp freshly chopped dill
- Seeds from one pomegranate
Pomegranate molasses is a thick sweet/sour syrup made from pomegranate juice; it is used in many sweet and savoury Middle Eastern dishes. If unavailable, use 1tbsp lemon juice and 2tsp clear honey instead.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Put the spices and garlic in a small bowl and mix in the pomegranate molasses, plenty of seasoning and the oil. Mix to make a paste.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken and arrange in a shallow baking dish. Brush all over with the spicy oil and bake in the oven for about 40 mins until tender and cooked through. Drain well.
- To serve, serve the chicken over freshly cooked basmati rice flavoured with fried garlic cloves, and sprinkle with dill and pomegranate. Serve immediately.