Chicken and summer vegetable loaf
Skill level: Easy peasy
This light and summery chicken dish makes a great supper served warm with salad but also served cold in slices on a picnic. It only takes 15 mins to prepare and 1 hour or so to cook so it’s extra tender and flavoursome. It costs hardly anything to make and can keep for a few days in an airtight container. Packed with sausage meat, succulent chicken and spiced with red chilli, this loaf is full of flavour.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 450g boneless, skinless chicken meat
- 225g pork sausagemeat
- 2tbsp freshly chopped dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Fresh dill to garnish
If you want to serve this loaf cold, keep the loaf covered and leave to cool completely, then place weights on top of the loaf and chill for at least 4hrs or overnight. Turn out of the tin to serve, cut into slices.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease a 900g loaf tin. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the pepper, chilli, onion and garlic, stirring, for about 10 mins until softened but not browned. Leave to cool.
- Put the chicken and sausagemeat in a blender or food processor and add the cold vegetables. Blend for a few seconds until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in the chopped dill and plenty of seasoning and mix in the egg.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin. Cover with foil and place in a roasting tin. Pour in hot water to come half way up the loaf tin and put in the oven. Bake for about 1hr 15 mins or until set and the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the middle. Remove from the water and keep covered for 20 mins.
- To serve, remove the foil, drain away the juices and turn out of the tin. Serve in slices, garnished with dill, and accompanied with a crisp salad.