Grilled salmon with white beans and bacon
Skill level: Easy peasy
Simple fresh flavours of lettuce and beans enhanced with smoked crisp bacon make the perfect accompaniment for grilled salmon. This salad is undressed, but a dollop of mayonnaise would be perfect on the side. It only takes 30 mins to prepare and cook making it a special mid-week meal thatís easy to make. This dish is very filling with cannellini beans and full of smoked flavours from the streaky bacon. You could use tuna steak instead of salmon fillet if preferred.
- 4 x 175g salmon fillets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 15g unsalted butter
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme and extra to garnish
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 little gem lettuce
- Lemon wedges to serve
If your palette is more spicy, replace the bacon with chopped chorizo sausage.
- Pre-heat the grill to a medium setting. Wash and pat dry the fish, and season all over. Put the fish, skin side up, on the grill rack brush with 1tbsp oil and cook for 6 - 7 mins. Turn the fish over, brush another 1tbsp oil and cook for a further 7-8 mins until tender and cooked through. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, put 1tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon and thyme, stirring, for 5 - 6 mins until crispy and cooked through. Drain and keep warm.
- Trim the lettuces, break up the leaves, then rinse in a colander and shake dry. Break up the leaves and put in a bowl. Season lightly.
- Just before serving, toss the beans and bacon into the lettuce and pile on to warm serving plates. Top with a piece of salmon. Season to taste and sprinkle with more fresh thyme. Serve immediately with wedges of lemon to squeeze over.