Cinnamon baked chicken and pears
Skill level: Easy peasy
This roast chicken dish has an autumnal flavor which is perfect for feeding the whole family. An easy but tasty way to liven up the Sunday roast, roasting chicken with a light spiced butter and some fresh pears. It’s a sweet and savoury combo that is delicious and irresistible. Leave to bake in the oven for 1hr and 30 mins until golden and crisp. This chicken is ideal served with roast potatoes and vegetables.
- 50g butter, softened
- 1½tsp ground cinnamon
- Finely grated rind and juice 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 2tsp juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 1.25kg oven-ready chicken
- 3 large ripe pears
- A small bunch fresh parsley
For a delicious fruity gravy to serve with this roast, use the cooking juices from the chicken and also make up the gravy by adding 100ml unsweetened pear or apple juice to the stock, and cook in the usual way.
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Put the butter in a bowl and mix in the lemon rind, plenty of seasoning and 1tbsp oil.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken, inside and out. Place in a small roasting tin and smear all over with half the butter. Season again and scatter with juniper berries. Bake in the oven for about 1 hr 30 mins, basting occasionally, until the juices run clear. Remove from the oven, cover with foil and stand for 10 mins.
- While the chicken is roasting, wash and dry the pears and cut in quarters. Place in a bowl and toss in the lemon juice. 30 mins before the end of the chicken cooking time, transfer the pears to a baking dish, dot with the remaining butter mix and drizzle with the remaining oil. Season and bake along side the chicken for about 30 mins until tender. Keep warm.
- To serve, drain the chicken and pears and put in a warm serving dish. Garnish with parsley and serve with vegetables.