Skill level: Easy peasy
Often overlooked, these tiny chickens are tender fleshed and roast up very well and quickly. Choose same size birds for even cooking and keep them basted to prevent them drying out. This marinade is sweet with tomatoes and spicy with hot smoked paprika all in one. Itís delicious and the perfect roast dinner alternatives. This recipe is so simple and packed full of flavour, itís sure to become a family favourite.
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2tsp mustard powder
- 2tsp hot smoked paprika
- 2tsp ground turmeric
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 oven-ready poussins
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chopped red chilli to garnish
Reduce the heat of the spice paste by using sweet smoked paprika or un-smoked paprika.
- Pre-heat oven to 220įC/425įF/Gas Mark 7. Halve the tomatoes and scoop out the seeds. Finely chop the flesh and put in a bowl. Mix in all the spices, the ketchup and oil to make a paste.
- Wash and pat dry the poussins and place in a roasting tin. Brush the paste all over the poussins and season well. Bake in the oven for about 40 mins, basting occasionally, until cooked through. To check that the birds are cooked, push a small knife between the leg and breast; if the juices are pink, cook for 5-10 mins longer. Once ready, remove the poussins from the tin, cover with foil and leave to rest for 10 mins.
- To serve, drain the poussins well and place on warmed serving plates. Sprinkle with fresh chilli and serve with freshly cooked vegetables or crisp salad.