Prep time:plus cooling time
Skill level: Easy peasy
Costs: Cheap as chips
A favourite Brazilian chocolaty sweet that is chewy like a bonbon. Easy to make and scrumptious to eat, serve them in little cake cases for easy pick up. These classic Brigadeiros would make the perfect food gift for friends and family. If preferred coat in multi-coloured sugar strands instead – ideal for kids parties. These simple treats only take 40 mins to make and just delicious.
- 397g can sweetened condensed milk
- 4tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼tsp salt
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Chocolate strands for decoration
Add finely grated orange rind for a zest twist, and try rolling the mixture in different coloured cake decorations for a colourful display.
- Pour the condensed milk into a heavy based saucepan. Sift the cocoa powder on top and mix in along with the salt.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over a low heat, keeping the mixture barely simmering to prevent burning and sticking and cook for 10-15 mins, until mixture becomes very thick and shiny and starts to pull away from the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and the vanilla. Scrape into a heatproof bowl and leave to cool then chill for about 30 mins.
- Divide the mixture into approx.20 pieces and each piece into a ball – if the mixture is too sticky to handle, brush your hands light with a little vegetable oil.
- Put the chocolate strands on a small plate and roll each sweetie in the strands to coat all over then place in a small cake case and chill until ready to serve.